Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

Ian McKellar <yakk-gnome-list@yakk.net.au> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 09:49:42AM +0000, u07ih@abdn.ac.uk wrote:
> > Yes, but they're going to get confused if they believe it to be one file.
>
> Yes, but users don't care about files they care about documents. If you
> educate them that "cp -R" copies whole documents and "cp" copies individual
> components of those documents they'll be happy.

That's fine, for starters.  Now tell them how to email the document.
How to put it on a webserver.  How to send it over (*gack*) IRC.

The more I think about this, the more I see both sides.  I think I'd
be happy with some structured-storage type thing to put everything in
one file, PROVIDED THAT there was a tool to decompress the file to a
directory AND programs which could use the structured-storage file
could also use the directory form.

That way, I could choose on a per-document basis what I wanted in
easy-to-access directory form to bang scripts through, I'd have a
reliable and well-defined way to distribute the file, and people who
didn't want to worry about it could just leave it in file form.

Having gnome-vfs get into the file is not an acceptable alternative
for me, because then I'm limited to tools which use gnome-vfs.  None
of the tools I currently use work with gnome-vfs.

262 days, 1 hours, 5 minutes, 46 till we run away.
Skydiving and Maxwell House - Good to the last drop!