Re: connecting .doc files with staroffice?

> Olaf Grüttner <o.gruettner@tu-bs.de> writes:
>
> > I tried to connect .doc files with staroffice.
> > I edited the mime - type, but staroffice wouldn´t start.
>
> Same problem here with WordPerfect.
>
> > application/x-soffice
> > extensions *.doc
> >          .doc
> > open /opt/Office51/bin/soffice %f
>
> Principally I did the same, which in theory seems to be the right
> procedure.

It looks like there is a problem with absolute paths in mime-types. Try
adding the binary directory (/opt/Office51/bin, /usr/wpbin or similar) to
the PATH variable, then remove the directory component from "open" (i.e.
replace your entry with just "soffice %f" or "xwp %f".) This is probably
the best way to set up your system in any case, as you don't want to store
information about the install location of your packages all over the place.

> This is a major drawback in Gnome, which could result in preferring
> KDE on some 50 workstations in our institute (if not most people would

Actually, the way KDE handles this is one of the main reasons why I don't
want to use it. I think mixing information about mime handlers into the
desktop menu setup is _very_ wrong. This is not a big issue as such, of
course, but it says something about how the designers are thinking.