RH PPP Dialer problem

I have a question about the "RH PPP Dialer" (System Menus->Internet->RH
PPP Dialer).  After doing a generic RH 6.1 install from CD, I used the
"Dialup Configuration Tool" (System Menus->Internet->Dialup Configuration
Tool) to setup up the modem and my ISP info.

Things were fine (I was able to connect OK, and see the modem traffic load
graphs in the dialog that comes up) until I used sndconfig to set up
sound.  After doing that, when I use the RH PPP Dialer now, I connect OK,
but a dialog comes up after connecting that says "Failed to activate
interface".  I AM connected, but the graph doesn't show the load and it
tries to redial (instead of hanging up) when it's clicked on (so I can use
/sbin/ifdown ppp0 to hangup).

What I think may be the cause it that sndconfig wrote a new
/etc/conf.modules, and perhaps the old one had relevant directives in it
(it DID back up the original, but I stupidly reran sndconfig before
checking it, thus overwriting the backup).

An additional point is that the following:
Feb 19 14:33:09 localhost kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
Feb 19 14:33:09 localhost kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module
registered

doesn't appear in /var/log/messages for every connection. I haven't
correlated i
t to anything else.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  What should be in conf.modules for a
new RH 6.1 install?

Thanks,
Derek