Re: Modest idea

Hello,

Most simple animations (as long, as we do not plan to show real movies)
can well be done vith SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics). It is
specially designed, to have support for interactivity, animations &
scripting, can do vector/bitmap graphics & so on. It is XML based, so it
is very possible to embed foreign datatypes (sounds, VRML etc...)

The state of SVG editors/players/browsers/viewers in GNOME is not hopeless
at all. Currently we have:
Sketch, which is capable of saving svg format (no animations, of course)
Sodipodi (my project) & Gill (Raph Levien's one), which are emerging to be
both viewers and editors. Gill have already implemented bonobo component
side.

The one possibility for is to start specialized 2 branches from either
project - editor and player branch. Player needs skripting plugs, possible
fullscreen mode, scoring, audio etc. Lots of editing can be done with
trivial vector illustrating program, preferably with animation support.
Until something better emerges, interactivity - i.e. scripting, can well
be done with Good Text Editor (TM)

Anyway, the programming part, using existing components is easier thing.
The biggest task seems to me graphic/character/story design. But if
somebody wishes to contibute such things, I hope, I can help in
programming side.

Proabaly it will be good idea to start something like GNOME graphic
archive? - or is similar thing already present.

just my ideas,
Lauris