Correct inittab for gnome?

I understand this is probably a very dumb question, but I still need help
with it.  How do I configure /etc/inittab to run the gnome login screen
and then gnome-session?  Right now my inittab is using prefdm to choose
among three managers: gdm, xdm, and twm.  The login screen comes up, but
every time I login in, I get twm.  I can start gnome-session from twm, but
then of course, it's gnome-session on top of twm, and that's no good.  Is
there a simple way to make my box start with gnome?  Thanks!