Re: Gnome, KDE flamebait

Steve Homer wrote:

> Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to impose rules (that is not by
> place!), my intention was to identify a *core* of functionallity which could
> be compatible between the two systems. For example could we ever see a way
> of using Bonobo/OpenParts together?

There has already been some work done to get the basics of interoperability in
place. Read some of the older posts in the GNOME/KDE interoperability list to
see what.  Anyways I think such an effort would be a waste of time. KDE spent 3
years before they realized the Mico wasn't usable for a desktop environment,
Gnome realized that shortly after startup and ORBit was created. When they
finally realized the weakneses of Mico the KDE people tried then to slim Mico
down, instead of doing the smart thing, use ORBit. When that failed, they cut
drasticly back on the use of CORBA, claiming  that CORBA was slow and to
unwieldly, and started to use a shared library system in their office suite
instead, with CORBA being deregulated to limited functions.   In addition to
that, most people agree that OpenParts is badly designed and overly
complicated, even many KDE developers agree to that.

It is my opinion that if you aim for interoperability with bad technology, you
quickly end up with bad technology yourself.

Christian