Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:54:14AM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > > The difference is that RPM and DEB package management does the
> > > installation, but doesn't provide a GUI interface that facilitates
> > > the configuration of the installation and the program in one pass.
> > > That's what most installation processes do, whether you are installing
> > > an OS or a program.
> >
> >   RPM don't need/doesn't provide any user level customization
> > except the very unfrequent case of relocatable package. Installing
> > is one command, deleteing is one command, no UI is really needed
> > for the installation per se. Now locating RPMs and finding ways to
> > fire up multiple install/upgrades is another matter. Check gnorpm
> > or rpmfind for ideas.
> >   This *is* one pass, unless you have dependancies problems.
>
> Would you consider it out of the question to extend the functionality
> of RPM to the extent that installation options were added that enabled
> the following:
>
> 	- Specify program installation location and other program
> 	  installation options?
>
> 	- Launch the program with a "-config" option or some such.
> 	  GUI programs including this option could then enter a
> 	  first time use configuration sequence.
>
> These options would make it trivial to write a RPM/DEB front-end
> that would accomplish what the InstallShield and setup.exe do.
> This would not comprimise the dependency-checking that RPM and
> DEB package management does.

  Well I don't think it's the right list to ask taht question. Try rather
rpm-list@redhat.com

  My take on this why not, but I would rather keep RPM simple to use
and your extension are just going the opposite way to your initial goal.
Somewhat I don't think it's actaully a good idea, if you need to relocate
your package you're not part of the 80% majority of the Linux user. then
you're probably able to modify (or have it modified) and you don't need
an installer with a splash screen and warnings ...

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW