Re: Desktop

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, allbery wrote:

> > The problem is that the only portable way to do this is to continuously
> > recan the directory (every 2 sec. for example).
> > BTW, this is how Windows does it. I have been told that OS/2 does the same
>
> ???  OS/2 has a DosFSCtl() interface to allow notification of file
> system changes via a kernel message queue; I would expect the WPS to use it.

I don't know OS/2 and for this reason I said "I've been told" rather than
"I know".

Do you know if DosFSCtl() allows notification of fine-grained
(directory) changes? I mean: from your reply I cannot understand if you
are notified of "the filesystem changed" and forced to rescan all the dirs
that have a view opened or you are notified of "the directory you told me
to watch has changed" and you can refresh the views of that dir only.

I'm just curious because I wonder if there is an os that allow this
(except linux + my patch).

Thanks,
Zun.