Changing properties for a file...

What exactly happens when I change the properties of a file by
Right-Clicking on the file's icon? How is this data stored? And is there
a simple way I can change the File Actions for all users for certain
(executable files)?

Also, the effects on property setup when dragging an icon seems a bit
illogical to me.When I copy a file, it seems like the properties are
copied, too, but when I link it to the desktop (for instance) the setup
is lost. Why?
--
Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.no>   +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)