Re: project of the week question

> > > Hmm.. I think Gnumeric might be able to import such a file with it's
> > > text importer. Try it.
> >
> > I did try it according to your suggestion, but at the moment
> > gnumeric is still not flexible enough. (gnumeric 0.41) I had a ";"
> > separated list and gnumeric does only comma separation. I changed my
> > file from semicolons to commas ; => , but that didn't solve all my
> > problems.
>
> You should be able to import this by replacing the semicolons by tab
> characters ( using something like "tr \; \\t <in-file >out-file" ), and
> then using the "Import -> Simple text file" options.

Importing the file wasn't the problem. I was playing around with vi
and awk. I made a ";" separated list of name, prename, address, .... some
6-8 items alltogether.

When imported into gnumeric, the working on this becomes a pain. You either
have to have a big monitor or you have to allways scroll in order to work
on them. And another thing, you can't see what the colums signify when you
have say 30 addresses put into your sheet, because the top will scroll
out of sight.

Olaf