Re: shutdown prompt question

"Dave S" <dsmithye@hotmail.com> writes:
> Is there another option somewhere else i'm missing?

You need to fool around with PAM (assuming you're running Red Hat or
a distribution based on it because GNOME doesn't show the halt/reboot
otherwise I don't think).  Look in /etc/pam.d/reboot and
/etc/pam.d/shutdown for the config files, and /usr/doc/pam-0.68/html/
for documentation (if you don't have the docs you may need a newer pam
package).

Looking at it quickly I don't actually see a way to disable the
passwords for console users, but if not that you may be able to change
things so that shutdown/reboot are available without passwords to
certain users or groups. (Note that right now you're using the
pam_console.so authentication module that allows you to
shutdown/reboot if you are at the physical machine, but not if you are
logged in remotely.)

Havoc