propagating desktop settings across accounts and machines

I am going to be using Linux (RH 7.0 with Gnome) in the classroom this
semester. The class is a beginner's how-to-get-started-with-Unix class
which also focuses on certain weather applications (I'm an atmospheric
science prof). I want to have each student have identical desktop
settings when they log in so that key bindings, window managers, and all
special settings match those of my account.  Basically, the deviations I
make are not all that earth shattering but I'd hate to have to do them
all by hand for each account.

Is there a simple way to clone my desktop settings across several
accounts? I don't think it's as easy as just copying the dotfile
directories (~/.gnome*) across accounts. I would like to both propagate
the settings across different accounts on a given machine, and across
machines since students will be logging on to one of several terminals.

Thanks in advance,

Leigh Orf