application focus

hello everyone, is there a way to fix the focus or whatever it is called
on the apps in gnome? what I mean by this is: when I have several apps
open and I hit CTRL + ALT to bring the app behind the other apps to the
front to use, I still end up having to click on the app in order to use
it. CTRL + ALT only brings the app to the front of the pack, but does not
place the cursor in it or make it usable until it is either clicked by the
mouse or CTRL + ALT is hit 2 more times.

TIA

David M.

AIM: Dmcg295308

ICQ #: 96210352