Re: Memory Issues

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:35:40AM -0600, Maher Awamy wrote:
> Errm.. Mozilla or Galeon or any threaded application is not using ALL the
> memory that gtop will report, those are threads.. so if you say Galeon is using
> 80 megabytes, you are adding up all the threads... Count one thread memory
> usage only, probably around 20 megabytes. Same goes for Mozilla, same goes for
> Xmms, same goes for Skipstone.. FYI ;-)

Ditto this... Having just started up Mozilla 0.6 (with Classic theme)
pointing at google.com as the original poster described, gtop thinks that
java_vm is using 313MB and mozilla-bin is using 97MB on my machine.  gtop's
"Memory Usage (resident)" pane puts the number of occurences of each
process after the name... If you can surf around and watch all the numbers
for each occurence change in unison on the "Processes (all)" pane, you're
pretty much surely looking at a multithreaded app where all of the threads
are sharing the same memory.  Why top and gtop report individual threads as
separate processes is beyond me, but you get the actual memory usage by
just looking at one of the threads.  So in my case, Mozilla is taking
13MB, and java_vm is taking 10MB.  So they're not taking up nearly the
space you imagine they are.  It would be nice if top/gtop reported the
usage in a way that wasn't this misleading.

That said, Mozilla seems a bit sluggish responding to button presses for me
as well, and I take it that this is due to debug compilation settings.  I
still use it, however, because the progressive presentation of a page lets
me surf faster in general.

Bret
--
Bret Mogilefsky  ** mogul-gnome gelatinous com **  Programmer, SCEA R&D