Re: gdm woes

> Problem:  I walk away from my machine (left either at the gdm login
> screen or locked with xscreensaver) for an hour or two.  When I return,
> the display has been killed, and all I have is a monitor filled with the
> default X hatch background.

I do not know if it is realted or not, but about once a week either my
partner or I have gdm die when we log out.  (we both share the same
PC).  It leave us with the hatch scren and we need to do a ctrl-alt-bksp
to get a login screen again.

This is fine, except when from the loging screen I switch to a virtual
terminal (ie: ctrl-alt-f1) and log in as root.  Then I keep getting
messages that say
 gdm has been suspiciously murdered (or to that effect).

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss