If Gimp had tab-completion, why doesn't gmc or the Gnome run dialog?

I noticed tab completion of file names works in some programs, like Gimp
or GQview, but not in Gnome menues/dialogues and not gmc. Why?

Also, I have these miscellaneous, less interesting questions.

1. Does GTK+ have a "shortcut" key to go with the "submit" button. For
example, in GQview, one can do Control-R to rename, edit the name, but
there is no keyboard to submit it. Same kind of thing arises in other
GTK+ programs, the Gimp, for example.  In CorelDraw, the F9 key acts
generally as the OK or submit button, so I wish there were something
like that.

2. I learned in this group that you can assign shortcut key combinations
to menus in GTK+ programs, by hovering the pointer and hitting the
keys.  That changes the shortcut during the current session with the
program, but those settings are not remembered on the next startup.  Is
the saving of those key strokes a program responsibility?

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu