Re: Trying to fix a stupid mistake

Rooty D'Qt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a linux newbie and, in my infinite wisdom (don't
> laugh anybody) I decided to change ALL of the
> permissions on my machine. Yes, I did say all.
> It took me a day or two to figure out how to fix
> whatever I'd done, and now I can do anything I need to
> from the command line. GNOME sorta loads...

I would have replied in private but I think this is something that all the
lurking newbies should understand.

You WILL make mistakes like this now and then. It's part of the learning
process. However, that's why it's important to not run you UNIX based system as
root, as a normal daily operational habit. You only need to be root to change
system configs.

--
Glenn Valenta   Engineering @ http://www.coloradostudios.com
valenta home com Personal mail http://402721926:5829/