Re: gnome-lib and Solaris 7x86

From: "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <famrom idecnet com>

axm135 po cwru edu (2000-12-08 at 1442.41 -0500):
> i was wondering, do most linux distros still place all their binaries in
> /usr/local/bin?  what is the prevelant place for gnome under linux?

It seems that the standard is /usr/bin/ for distro things (normally
rpm or deb based), and /usr/local/bin/ for what you install (normally
tarball based). If you want the exact info, read the LSB, I am just
quoting from memory.

Right, and thank goodness for the LSB.  However, it doesn't really
work for Solaris.  People can do whatever they want, but best
practices with regard to Solaris is to leave / and /usr as pristine
as possible. This allows an easy restoration from backups, as well as not causing problems when upgrading the operating system.

My distribution is loosely based on the GNOME I got in Suse 6.4
where it was loaded in /opt/gnome.

Ben