Re: gnome-lib and Solaris 7x86

Well I figure you're talking about my packages, so I'll give
you a couple of suggestions.

1) symlink /opt/local to /usr/local (ln -s /usr/local /opt/local)
  and install the package.  This should install it in /usr/local,
  you can keep your path as /usr/local/bin, etc.., and all you have
  to do is keep the /opt/local symlink around and let the runtime
  linker find it that down that path.
2) If you've compiled up your own version of db 1.85, it depends
  on whether you've compiled in the C++ extensions.  As of later
  versions of gnome-lib, there is a --enable-stdc++ option which
  adds -lstdc++ to the link phase for the test for db-1.85.  The
  *big* problem is that the linker path's for db-1.85 don't end
  up in any of the config files (gnome-config, gnomeConf.sh) so
  you either have to manually add them there [which is what I did]
  or set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH [which I don't do].
3) PPro settings work on celeron, PII, PIII and above.  They work on
  other systems, but aren't optimized for those processors.

Hope this helps,

Ben

I have been trying to find if anyone has solved the problem of
gnome-lib configure failing due to the db 1.85 compatibility
problem.

I downloaded, compiled and installed the latest version of Berkeley
db with the --185compat option and still cannot get configure
to complete.

I know this is a known issue, but is anyone else working on it?

I did find a Package for Solaris 7x86 but it was built on a Pentium
Pro Processor and installed Gnome in /opt and I was building
in /usr/local.  Call me lazy or stubborn but I don't want to
make clean the previously compiled packages and rebuild them
in /opt.

Any suggestions or packages compiled in /usr/local would be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks.

A.J. Leitell

-----