From: gnome-list-admin gnome org [mailto:gnome-list-admin gnome org]On
Behalf Of Jürgen Salk
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 8:53 AM
To: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Gnome installation on an HP station

Laurent Decreusefond <decreuse enst fr> wrote:

> I am trying to install gnome on a H box
>
> HP-UX wiener B.10.20 A 9000/778 2014384982 two-user license
>

> I am facing several problems, I already browsed the archives of the
> mailing lists but I found nothing appropriate. In brief, I need some
> help :
>
> [...]
>
> but I am having some problems with ORBit-0.5.4
> Making all in libIDL
>         /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -o libIDL.la -rpath
> /usr/local/lib -version-info 4:4:4              -release 0.6 parser.lo
> lexer.lo ns.lo util.lo  -L/usr/local/lib -lglib
> rm -fr .libs/libIDL.la .libs/libIDL.* .libs/libIDL-0.6.*
>
> *** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
> -L/usr/local/lib.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
> when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
> *** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
> *** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
> *** or is declared to -dlopen it.
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld -b +h libIDL-0.6.sl.4 +b /usr/local/lib -o
> .libs/libIDL-0.6.sl.4.4  parser.lo lexer.lo ns.lo util.lo  -lglib -lc
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library for -lglib
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> That's strange because glib-1.2.8 compiled like a charm but no glib
> library exists.

I am not at all perfectly sure, but your problem may be related
to a flaw in gcc for HP-UX.

>From the gcc-2.952 man-page:

| -mshared-libs
|   Generate code that can be linked against HP-UX shared  libraries.
|   This option  is not fully function yet, and is not on by default
|   for any PA target. Using this option can cause incorrect code to
|   be generated by the compiler.

Although it may be not a challenge for you: There are prebuild
dynamically linked binaries of most Gnome packages (including
ORBit-0.5.4) available at the HP-UX Software Porting Centre at

http://hpux.cict.fr/hppd/hpux/Gnome/

I am not yet running Gnome on HP-UX, but I would be interested
in your experiences in setting up Gnome for HP-UX. Would you
mind posting a brief summary or CDE-to-Gnome-HowTo or something
like that?

Best regards - Juergen.