Re: changing mime association

Ralph Slooten wrote:

> I have the same problem with MTV. Each time I get an error that xamin can't
> be opened. Only when I right-mouse-click on the MPG and select view doe it
> work.
>
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Minson, John M. [Contractor] wrote:
>
> > All my attempts to change the mime association of a <something>.mpeg file
> > to 'gtv' fail.
> > The 'edit mime types' operation seems to work and shows 'gtv' in both the
> > open and view fields of the Mime Type Actions . When I open a 'mpeg' it
> > insists on running 'xanim' .
> > Is there some system wide default overriding my personnel settings ?

I don't know why the mime-types capplet insists on screwing this up.
Take a look at the ~/.gnome/mime-info/user.keys file. If you see
"[(null)]" anywhere then remove it. My user-keys file looks like:

  video/mpeg:
          open=mtvp -l %f
          view=mtvp -l %f

If I use the control panel capplet to edit any mime types, what my
user-keys file turns into is:

  video/mpeg:
          [(null)]open=mtvp -l %f
          [(null)]view=mtvp -l %f

I don't have any idea what those [(null)]s are supposed to be for, but
get rid of them and everything will work as you expect.

AME