Re: Displaying Formatted Text

Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> It depends, whether you need WYSIWYG or not.
> If not, you should use Gtktext, GtkExText or EText (from gal), possibly
> enhanching it accoring to your needs, and be prepared to replace it with
> wholy Pangoized text widget for 2.0.
> If you need WYSIWYG, you have currently to do custom widget yourself.
> You just have to use:
> 1) AA Canvas and GnomeFonts (not X fonts)
> 2) Printing through glyphlists (the plain text printing is poor solution
>    and cannot guarantee you anything but visible text in future). If you
>    need some specific interfaces to GnomeFonts and/or glyphlists, I will be
>    glad to help you.

Well, after looking through .h files I have a couple questions:

1) Assuming I want to write a canvas item to display the text according to my
needs.  At what level of the interface would I start?  It looks like
glyphlists, postioned glyphlists, and RFonts are interrelated.  Can you give a
conceptual overview of how these parts of the API fit together?

2) RFont stands for raster font, but I notice that it includes some method for
return ArtSVPs and the like.  Or those simply in service to the raster
methods, or there to compliment them in a vector-centric world (like the aa
canvas)?

Thanks,
Jay