Re: Screensaver wont let me login

pat.colbeck@esc.azlan.co.uk writes:

> I have the Helixcode Gnome installed on both RedHat 6.2 and SuSE 6.4
> and on SuSE the screen saver is playing up. If lock the screen I cannot
> login with either my passowrd or the root one. On RedHat it works fine.
> The same username and password is fine for gdm.
> Anyone else seen this one ?

SuSE installs xscreensaver as suid root, so I would suspect that their
setup requires this:

redhat-6.1:
/tmp/markgray $ l /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       145724 Sep 25  1999 /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver*

SuSE-6.4:
markgray@soyo /usr/src/PROJECTS/docbook/html > l /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       542104 Mar 11 13:06 /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver*

(Hoping not to get flamed too badly this time for suggesting the
following :-)

Try:

chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver

if it is not already suid root (If it is, I do not know what the
matter is.)

Hope this helps.