Re: enlightenment and gnome colormap problems

>From: "Jean-Raymond.Chauviere" <Jean-Raymond.Chauviere@cetelem.fr>

>Maybe it will be better to look around /usr/sbin/m64config
>this command configure your video. Its name depends on the
>video you have. Other old name was fbconfig.
>
>on an U5
>m64config -prconf # gives the possibilities
>On my station I ran
>m64config -depth 24 -res 1100x900x76
>and I have no colors problems

That's because you had a 24-bit framebuffer and were using it configured as
8-bit =O}.  Unfortunately the original m64 configuration was 8-bit only at a
useable resolution, as it only had 2M VRAM.  This is what was shipped on the
original Ultra 5/10 mobo and the first PGX PCI graphics cards.  Later (about
9months to a year later) Sun switched to 4M and 8M cards, known as the PGX-24
and PGX-32, and also upped the onboard VRAM on the newer 5/10 mobos.

So yes, find out what kind of card/onboard graphics you have (look at your dmesg
output) and run the configuration tool for it to see if you can up the colourmap
- i.e. m64config, ffbconfig, afbconfig, etc.  The original PGX can do
800x600x16bit, but ummm...  No =O).   Then you may also need to tell your
Xserver to use "-defdepth 24" or whatever for that screen as the default root
configuration fo rit to usefully effect Enlightenment, depends.

But as I already posted, I'm not sure that colourmap dithering is the sole cause
of this problem.

Ta,

---------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful---------
o o                                          mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.    http://Moredhel.i.am    mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "Micro$oft have performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"