RE: How do I unistall GNOME

On 23-Aug-00 ciaran oriordan wrote:
> delays etc. Thanks for the suggestions...
> I'm still stuck though:
> I did the make distclean, make clean, I added "/usr/local/lib/glib" to
> /etc/ld.so.conf, I installed glib-1.2.7 (no problems) but when I tried to
> install gtk+-1.2.7 it said:
> checking for glib-config... /usr/bin/glib-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.7... *** GLIB header files (version 1.2.7)
> do not match
> *** library (version 1.2.8)
> no
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 1.2.7 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
> *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
>
> due previous errors I rm -rf /usr/local/include/glib /usr/local/include/gtk
> /usr/include/gtk /usr/include/glib
>
> so I don't know where to look for this elusive header file which claims to be
> 1.2.8
>
> notes:
> gtk-config --version  says 1.2.7
> glib-config --version says 1.2.8

        I suggest you look at the config.log file in the root
directory of the gtk+-1.2.8 source. Somewhere near the bottom
should be an error message that indicates what failed in the
configuration step above. Hopefully, this will include the
name of the header file. If not, you'll need to do a little
more tracking. Anyway, when you've found the name of the header
file that shows the wrong version, do a:

        find / -name <whatever>.h -print

        and see what happens. There should be two files in
two different locations (other than any source directories,
of course). If there are, one of them is the
old one, and you will have to uninstall it (and its brethren)
somehow. If there's only one file, check your glib-1.2.8
installation log (hopefully, you made one by redirecting
the output of the 'make install') to see what failed during
the installation, or do that installation (of glib-1.2.8)
and watch what happens.

--
Craig Orsinger                <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>
Logicon Advanced Technology

"'Eureka'. It's Greek for 'This bath's too hot'."   - The Doctor