Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

On 21 Aug, Craig Orsinger wrote:

>         The two tasks I nearly always need to use a GUI-based
> root login to accomplish are compiling a new version of the kernel
> and figuring out how to install complex new software or hardware.
> Sometimes "su" is good enough for these things, but there are times
> when you just waste too much time "su"ing and setting up a proper
> environment for root. In those cases I just log out of an ordinary
> user account and login as root.

After my initial Slackware installation, I never have to login as root.

To make thing "easy" on myself, I've set up sudo to allow me to su as
root w/o being prompted for the password. (Yes, this does mean that
someone who cracks my password effectively has root's as well . . . )

But even so, the only "environment" issue I've found is that after
su'ing to root, you need to export DISPLAY*. Other than that, I've had
no problems whatsoever. For that matter, just about the only time I
actually have a root shell is while doing a kernel configuration and
compile, as it's easier than sudo'ing each step. With everything else, a
simple 'make && sudo make install' is sufficient.

Ah. One other thing I've done is to symlink the most important (to me)
configuration files from my home to /root, like .bashrc & .fr
(FileRunner's config directory)

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Suburbia: a place where trees are cut down
     in order to name streets after them.