Re: rpms probles

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 12:44:26AM +0100 or thereabouts, Mike wrote:
> Ths is very off-topic but I have had a frustrating time downloading rpms
> only to find that they won't install with rpm 3
> Any one got any idea whether it is possible to install rpm 4 on a rh6.1
> system

One of the good things about distributions is that they have mailing
lists where they announce updates to packages and security fixes. It
is generally a good idea to at least get the security fixes, and
hence to subscribe to such lists :) One of the recent RH announcements
was for rpm-3.0.5 which could handle rpm-4-built packages, because
people would need that to install fixes.

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2000-051-01.html

Follow-ups to redhat-list or somewhere, I suppose. I'm only posting
it here because I haven't seen it mentioned and I imagine that some
rpms for GNOME apps are going to get built with rpm-4 eventually,
so now people know where rpm-3.0.5 is to install them.

Telsa