A dialog box for eth0 setup???

I have been able to set up a modem connection for a long
time now, with the pulldown menu
on Gnome. I go to the footprint, choose >internet> Dialup
Configuration tool, and get
very nice dialog boxes to follow through with modem speed,
device (ppp0), phone number of my ISP , id and password,
etc.

Now I am connected to DSL with 2 macintosh computers and the
Linux box with Red Hat
6.2 and I need to need to configure some kind of new device,
(eth0) with IP address,
host, gateway, NIC card, NIC card driver (for kernel access
to a module) and other very
confusing things.

There is no dialog box.  There is "netcfg" from the
command-line and "netconf" also. When I enter my values in
those, I don't succeed.  I get messages such as "eth0
initialization delayed" or other cryptic things.

Can anyone help me with my configuration problem?

Can a GNOME developer put a "network configuration tool" in
the pulldown menu
next to the "dialup configuration tool"

John Kohler
Daly City, CA