Helix GNOME

Thanks for writing the article on installing Helix GNOME - I'd really like to give it a try.  Just a note on the instructions in Linux mag the ./installer instruction should read ./installer-latest-intel, a minor problem.  But I have a major problem I was using KDE with Caldera 2.4 and running Windows as well.  I am using LILO Caldera's operating system loader which loads Linux or Windows.  When the kernel boots it tries to load KDE but can't as I have installed GNOME.  I get several lines of :  /bin/sh: /etc/rc.d/rc.gui: cannot execute binary file.  This is followed by INIT: Id "gu" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.  Then the system stops running.

My questions are 1) how do I reconfigure the system (and/or LILO) so it will find GNOME and proceed to GDM?  2) seeing as I can't get into the system at all how do I get in to make the changes?

Thanks.

Don Geddes