Re: GNOME & WPO2000

Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>  I would suggest using the superscript icon in Abiword and manually
> entering your footenotes at the bottom of the page. Better still just use
> the superscript and create a separate document containing endnotes. The
> lack of a footnotes "function" is not that severe of an impediment. In

I'm sorry, but this sounds to me like the good old days when I used a
typewriter to write my papers -- what if I want to insert a footnote
after the third in a range of 90 (this is one of the best things a
text processor is for). Endnotes are not an option (not being reader
friendly).

Myself I'm producing my papers and books with LaTeX and I'm quite
happy with this, but my colleagues at the university which only know
their commercial WYSIWYG word processors in Windows are laughing me
straight in the face if I want them to switch to Linux, when I can
offer them either a command oriented language like LaTeX or a word
processor without footnote capabilities.

> other respects Abiword is extremely good. For instance it handles
> mathematical and chemical formulas much more gracefully than Corel WP,
> Applix or StarOffice. Applix's formula editor just dosen't work very well.
> Abiwordhandles math symbols flawlessly. I can send you some examples if you
> have Abiword installed.

I'm working in the humanities, where there isn't much need for
formulas and the like.

For me the much more professional typesetting power of LaTeX is what
counts.

Greetings,
joachim

--
          Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz              email: jtr@uni-bonn.de
         Germanistisches Seminar             phone: 0228-737565