Re: gfloppy: Could not determine current format type

In message <3997A009.68EE05E7@kscanners.com>, Toralf Lund writes:

>Now, I finally got around to testing gfloppy again. This  time i tried some ot
>her
>tools, too. The commands I tested were:

>     mformat a:
>     fdformat /dev/fd0
>     fdformat /dev/fd0H1440

>Of these, the first two failed - I've lost the message from mformat, but the f
>dformat
>one was
>
>     Could not determine current format type: No such device

This is off-topic, but for some reason Red Hat has never shipped fdutils.
Red Hat's fdformat utility has never properly autodetected 1.44 MB diskettes on
any system I've tried it on, but superformat from fdutils has worked for half a
decade on every floppy controller/drive combination I've used.

I just don't understand why Red Hat includes mtools but not fdutils.  The
latter has been stable for years, and is even at version 5.4.  fdformat should
be deprecated or at least fixed so that /dev/fd0 works.

http://www.tux.org/pub/tux/knaff/fdutils/

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@linuxsavvy.com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts