Re: Improved mail archive prototype

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:
>
> >  - Anything else you would want in order to make the archive
> >    maximally convenient?
>
> It's nice to be able to download whole months in a single file,
> because I can import them straight into Gnus, but since it doesn't log
> In-Reply-To, References and Message-ID, it's somewhat less useful than
> it could be.  If those were added, one could import huge histories
> into Gnus or Evolution and have the speed of local searches and
> portability.

The downloadable files are just the raw messages, Message-ID,
etc, and all, in unmangled form, in mbox format. There should
be no problem importing them into a mailer.

Of course, it could be argued that providing the downloadable text
archives in unmangled form defeats the purpose of mangling the HTML
archives... Though gzip'ing the old archives may keep at least
some web crawlers from going through them.

Regards,
                                        Owen