Re: Directed Development

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 08:39:34AM -0400 or thereabouts, Poletti, Don wrote:
[suggestions on how to organise gnome-games a bit more]

> > Packaging individual games is something that Debian does, and that
> > other distributions could consider.  For myself, managing the
> > gnome-games CVS module as separate packages seems like more trouble
> > than it's worth.
>
> Well I have a relatively small (6 Gig) hard drive with only 1.5 for
> Linux so I'm a little more concerned with space. I also hate cluttered
> menus so it would be worth it to me but I can see were its not that
> important.

If it's your machine, then just blast everything you don't need
away (fun! -- and it's amazing what you accumulate without meaning
to that can go). If other people want to use certain things, then
make lots of use of the "Favourites" menu, and have things arranged
the way you like them.

> I do know how they are written but that doesn't mean that the
> way it has to be. If you or Miguel or whoever laid out a
> plan I bet people would be willing to help. People work
> better when there is a goal (dare I say Vision). Rather than
> the current do what ever you like and maybe it'll get included.

Maybe it would work here, but I can think of several examples
of "things to do", "things we need" and so on where lists were
made and nothing happened. Dave Mason's attempts to get people
to write and expand some of the developer documentation resulted
in one whole document. I am now wondering about the "Projects
to take on" list on www.gnome.org, and whether anyone has ever
taken any of them on and completed them.

To be honest, I think the current "do whatever you like and maybe
it'll get included" system is not going to change.

Telsa