Re: Screwed Up Gnome Terminal

In message <>, Brett
ry writes:

>  It would be
> interesting to know the reason behind this particular limitation of the
> terminal interface.  Something to do with the needs of teletype machines?

Quite so. Gnome-terminal, xterm etc. are "terminal emulators".
Specifically a DEC (>=)vt100 terminal. None of which, to my
knowledge, spoke proportional characters. So why bother with
supporting proportional characters?

| Bob Taylor             Email:             |
| [Concerning MSFT innovating their way out of a wet paper bag.] |
| "Maybe if it were a very very wet paper bag, but then they'd   |
| face the insurmountable barrier of surface tension."           |
| -- Geoffrey Tobin <>                     |