Re: Screwed Up Gnome Terminal

In message <XFMail.20000805023143.bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>, Brett
Castleber
ry writes:

[snip]

>  It would be
> interesting to know the reason behind this particular limitation of the
> terminal interface.  Something to do with the needs of teletype machines?

Quite so. Gnome-terminal, xterm etc. are "terminal emulators".
Specifically a DEC (>=)vt100 terminal. None of which, to my
knowledge, spoke proportional characters. So why bother with
supporting proportional characters?

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com             |
| [Concerning MSFT innovating their way out of a wet paper bag.] |
| "Maybe if it were a very very wet paper bag, but then they'd   |
| face the insurmountable barrier of surface tension."           |
| -- Geoffrey Tobin <G.Tobin@latrobe.edu.au>                     |