Re: galeon

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 12:39:08PM -0300 or thereabouts, rob smith wrote:
> where is the mozilla_five_home found?  do I have to be in that directory
> to run the export command?

Mark put:
> > export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=<mozilla package directory>
> > before running galeon.

This is all terribly not-GNOME-specific, but whilst the galeon
questions keep hitting this list, perhaps this will help. It only
applies in toto to people using the bash shell: the syntax for
the commands varies by shell.

When you see things like "SOMETHING_IN_CAPS=foo; export SOMETHING_IN_CAPS"
(or the shorthand of "export SOMETHING_IN_CAPS=foo") you're seeing people
talk about setting environment variables. (Well, setting them with the
bash shell; there is a slightly different syntax for other shells.)

You have dozens of these set, and you can change them either
temporarily, or permanently (by putting them in your .bashrc so they
are run in every shell you start).

Common ones are set for you automatically. If you type 'printenv'
at a shell prompt, you'll get a list of them. For example, HOME is
almost always there, along with EDITOR and VISUAL (two ways to set
editors).

If you read the bash man page you'll find loads of others. I set one
called MAILPATH to check a pile of directories for new mail, for
example.

Some programs will set a few more environment variables for you:
if you type "printenv" whilst you're using X, for example, you'll
see one called "DISPLAY". I can't think of any other common and
useful examples :)

To run some other programs easily, it sometimes helps to set some
variables permanently: people who use one CVS repository often set
a CVSROOT environment variable, for example, which saves them
typing it before each CVS session.

So: this MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME environment variable is presumably
not set on your machine for you. You can set it with exactly
what Mark put above. You don't have to be in the directory in
question, no. It will only apply to the shell you type it into
(which basically means, "that window"), unless you choose to
add that line to your .bashrc, in which case it will apply to
every window you (subsequent to editing the .bashrc) you spawn.

I don't use galeon so I don't know why it needs this variable, but
it looks like galeon wants to know where Mozilla lives before it
can run it :)

> One other thing is there anywhere that I can get an rpm of mozilla 16
> b/c I don't think I installed this one correctly.  It works but only
> if I run it from a terminal.  What I did was gunzip and tar vxf  then
> in the package directory I type in ./mozilla and it runs...is that all
> there is to it?

Sounds good to me.

I hope this wasn't too madly off-topic. Or completely inaccurate :)

Telsa