questions

Hello my name is Giovanni Tommaseo,
a month ago I installed the SuSE 6.4 linux on my computer (I was just
the time for me to get rid of windows).
Now I downloaded from a mirror site the Helix Gnome 1.2 (I took the rpm
files for suse linux 6.4 and the latest installer).
Now I want to ask in which directory should I put the files without
damaging my linux. How can I after the installation start the gnome
choosing it from the login window of the kde. I want to have the
possibility to choose at the graphical login between gnome and kde.
These questions may sound trivial but I am a absolutely newcomer to
linux (but already fascinated of linux).
It would be nice to get an answer from you!
best regards, Giovanni Tommaseo