Re: panel complains

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:17:40PM -0400 or thereabouts, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I will try to explain myself better, but I have a poor english, and even
> > in my mother tongue I am sometimes confused.
>
> Je pense que your English is better than my French :-)

Moi too :)

> > I complained about the panel on the top of the screen not because of
> > it's existence, but because it can't be configured. When you click with
> > the right button on the panel,  and in the pop menu on "panel", there is
> > no  "property", but only "global properties". I think there could be a
> > way to set the properties of the top screen panel (like it is for the
> > bottom panel).
>
> There should be no difference between a panel on the top of the screen and
> one on the bottom aside from location. You should be able to drag it around
> with your middle mouse button or with both buttons at once so this problem
> should be with this particular panel and not with where it is. (You could
> always remove it and replace it with a new one.)

I wonder whether Pat is talking about the "menu panel" (the "foobar"
one) from gnome-core-1.1.x. It sounds very like it. It's a long thin grey
one which goes at the top of the screen and has a bunch of common menus
and a useful menu of GNOME-related web links on it. It's very like
the old Amiga one (and, apparently, Apple?).

If so, s/he (I don't know about in French, but Pat can be either here :))
is quite right: it is far less configurable than the other panel types.
You can't move it about with the middle mouse button, and although
there is a "edit global preferences" option, there is nothing for editing
that panel alone.

(For those still running gnome-core-1.0.something, gnome-core-1.1.something
has five different types of panel: menu panel, edge panel, aligned panel
and floating panel. Floating is especially cool: you can put it anywhere
in the screen, not just along the edges. Its main menu also refers to
"Programs" and  "Favorites" where 1.0.something has "System" and "User".
It has a  couple of applets, but most of the applets have been moved into
gnome-applets-1.1.x.)

Telsa