GNOME Administration

We run a bunch of different kinds of Unix systems, including RedHat
Linux 6.1.  We use rdist to administer configuration changes, software
updates, etc.  In order to distribute GNOME updates and configuration
changes we need to know where GNOME keeps its config files, and how they
work.  We sometimes need to manually edit config files (such as when
something's broken).  In addition, we want to ensure that rdist copies the
correct files out.  That requires knowing the names and locations of the
files to rdist.

I have been unable to figure out what files GNOME uses to configure itself,
and may not be looking in the correct locations for the config files.
Perhaps I'm seeing the files but not understanding how they work.  Can
someone help me out with this information?

Thanks,
Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@ms.washington.edu