Re: your mail

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Loban Rahman wrote:

> > I know nothing about GNOME's internals, but perhaps this can be
> > implemented somehow in the launcher?  Right click (or middle click, or
> > shift click, whatever) the launcher button that you just clicked, and it
> > closes the last thing it opened.  I dunno how difficult this would be to
> > implement, but I think it would be logical UI-wise.  Perhaps you could
> > just have the launcher keep track of the PID of the last program each
> > button opened, and send a SIGTERM or SIGKILL to it.
>
> No. Because I can also start X programs from a terminal, and what
> ever solution we use should to be able to kill those programs as well.

<CTRL>-C takes care of the vast majority of those.

The way I see it, oftentimes (such as when you accidentally start
netscape) the program you just started only taked a few seconds to
start.  Netscape starts in about 2 seconds on my machine.  I wouldn't have
time to really search for it on the tasklist (I don't believe it shows up
in the tasklist until it has a window anyway).

I keep xkill in my launcher (I use a lot of buggy software that locks up
occasionally) but the key here is to kill it before it comes up.  The
easiest way to do this would be to CTRL-C anything started in a terminal
window, or middle-click (or right click, shift click, whatever) the button
I just accidentally pushed.

This wouldn't work, of course, with program started by the
session-manager.  It would be nice to have some sort of list of programs
that are starting with a little <Cancel> button next to them during
startup (that would go away after everything is started).  I always make
it a point to close all windows before exiting GNOME anyway, but I'm sure
someone would find that useful.