Re: [Re: selecting a window manager (for newbies)]

On 31-Dec-69 Anthony Richardella wrote:
> I'm not really bothered by this but seeing that the topic come up...
>
> I installed sawmill 0.24-3 on Redhat6.2 but it can't get it to run thru the
> Gnome control center. It will not start before the operation times out. How
> can I try to start it from the command line so I can see any error messages?

        You should be able to run it from a terminal window (xterm or
gnome-terminal) in the X display. You may have to kill off whatever
window manager is currently running (in fact, I'd recommend waiting
to do that until after you've transfered focus to the terminal window),
then just type:

        sawmill

        in the terminal window. If you have to go to one of the
virtual screens, you'll need to set the DISPLAY environment
variable first (most likely value to work is ":0"). Then run
sawmill (or whatever window manager you want).

        I'm running sawmill version 0.25.2, which is pretty stable
on RH 6.1.

Date: 19-Apr-00  Time: 19:29:05

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor