Re: newbie question: compiling source packages

On 17 Apr 2000, Dan Kortschak wrote:
> Date: 17 Apr 2000 05:47:43 -0000
> To: gnome-list@gnome.org
> From: Dan Kortschak <dan.kortschak@adelaide.edu.au>
> Subject: newbie question: compiling source packages
>
> I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I have just tried to upgrade
> gnome-print and gnumeric to 0.18 and 0.52 repectively from the source
> packages. I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file using a
> $prefix of /usr for "./configure", then "make", then "make install", but
> I got no binaries in /usr/bin for gnumeric (I can't tell if gnome print
> went in properly, though some files definately did). This is the first
> time I've tried to install from source, can someone tell me what I'm
> missing, or where i can find that information. I'm running YDL CS1.2 on
> a PPC.

You may be missing lots of stuff.  You need to watch configure very
carefully as it should tell you what's missing.  gnumeric and gnome-print
are especially difficult because they need more packages like bonobo
which needs several packages etc.  At least this is my experience.

I have not been able to get gnome print to compile because it can't
find my URW fonts even if I follow the font install instructions to the
letter.  Actually it seems to find some of the fonts just not the Times
and other standard fonts and they are in my URW directory.

Fred