Gnome Terminal HOME/END keys

Hello, I use Mandrake 7.0 and my preferred xterm is Gnome Terminal.
Mandrake comes with Gnome Terminal 1.0.55 , Mandrake 7.0 uses ncurses
5.0 , I do not know if it has been altered. The only problem I have
with Gnome Terminal (and it is even worse with other xterms) is that
the HOME and KEYS do not seem to work in ncurses programs. When I set
TERM to xterm ncurses programs do not recognize the escape sequence at
all, passing it through strait to the program. When I set TERM to
linux ncurses is able to recognize the escape sequences, but it then
provides graphics characters that Gnome Terminal cannot recognize (at
least not as the intended character.) I tried vt102, vt100, ansi, and
(after reading the zvt docs) vt220, but all of these worked even
worse. What should I set TERM to to get ncurses and Gnome Terminal to
speak the same language? I looked through the terminfo files and there
are quite a large number of variations of vt*, ansi, linux, and
xterm. I assume one of these is the correct one, but there are ALOT to
go through.

I do all of my development in ncurses, and am getting a little tired
of switching to a virtual terminal to test programs. XEmacs font lock
mode just doesn't seem to work in a vt so I can't just do my
developing in a vt in the first place unless I want to either switch
back to Emacs or give up font lock, and I don't want to do either. On,
the other hand, anyone who can tell me how to get XEmacs font lock to
work in a virtual terminal would both solve this problem and allow me
to go back to run level 3. I asked on the XEmacs list but got no reply
(the list seems to be pretty dead right now).

Thank you all for your time and for any help.

(Parenthetical remark: the escape sequences Gnome Terminal is sending
out is: HOME: <esc>[1~ END: <esc>[4~ if this will help anyone find the
proper terminfo.)

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS
West Dover Hundred, Delaware