gnome cvs snapshots

I haven't done any developing of gnome, but have been downloading
the snapshots off cvs for some time now.  When gnome 1.0 came
out it seemed like the cvs tree was stable for awhile.  Now it seems
that the cvs tree is never stable.  So  I was wondering has the process
changed?  Should I forget the cvs tree and just download the stable
sources?  I'm not saying the cvs sources should be stable.  In fact
I know that they are not.  I did assume that they would eventually
become stable as the features became frozen at which point a new
version would come out.  The process would then repeat etc..

--
Fred