RE: gnomba/samba

On 06-Apr-00 mike wrote:
> Hi
> I am having difficulties in getting gnomba to work the scenario is as
> follows:
>
> I work as a sysadmin in an NT network with my PC having full access to the
> server
> I have set up my Linux login as the same as my NT login
> I have set up gnomba to probe for IP addresses
> In the browser it gives me the main drives and 1st sub level but no files
> or sub-directories.
> When I try to mount it says ok but then nothing is there.
> Any help would be appreciated as this is the first step to junking NT

        This is how gnomba works - it just shows you the shares (or
resources?) available on each server. In order for the mount operation
to work, you must have the SUID bit set on the "smbmount" and "smbumount"
programs. Depending on your security worries, this may or may not be a
problem. The programs don't come that way in RedHat RPMS, since it's
potentially a bit dangerous on multi-user machines. IIRC, gnomba will
work if you're running as root, just remember to set the default
user name (in Options/Preferences/Credentials) to whatever your real
username is.

Date: 06-Apr-00  Time: 16:55:48

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor