Re: DISPLAY environment variable

In message <4007029354.953194801@[192.168.169.128]>, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH"
 writes:

>On Thursday, March 16, 2000 4:09 PM +0300, Alexander Koptelov
><steve@kazbek.ispras.ru> wrote:
>+-----
>| Behavior of my X is very strange. It sets =DISPLAY= variable to value
>| ``unix:0.0''. I have no idea who made it (gdm, gnome or enlightenment)
>| but more likely (I think) it's gdm problem. Can you tell me how to set
>| =DISPLAY= properly (``:0'')?
>+-----

>"unix:0" is legal (if old-fashioned) and means the same thing as ":0".  If
>you have something which is confused by this then it is broken.

[I know this is an old message; I've been away in Europe since GUADEC.]

unix:0.0 causes esound to emit a warning.  It attempts to perform a lookup on
unix.  I reported this bug some months ago and I believe Elliot Lee traced it
to esound a few months ago.

Having said that, setting your DISPLAY to unix:0.0 doesn't break GNOME;
everything works fine here aside from the warning message.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@linuxsavvy.com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts