Re: remove the pesky kde menu from gnome?

Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> It seems like this problem has come up before. That would suggest that
> perhaps the UI needs thinking about. It does make perfect sense that the
> menu editor would edit the menu. (It does but not in this way.) Perhaps
> those dialogs could be combined?
>
> --Ben

Well, the UI Hit Squad's current thinking is to do away with the "on
menu, in submenu, off" method of handling the foot menu in favor of a
better gmenu and a much better method for handling the foot menu's
configuration.

We want to have it so the foot menu's contents are listed in
~/.gnome/menu, which then has symlinks to the KDE, RedHat, Debian menus,
as well as symlinks to all the various items in
/usr/share/gnome/menu/apps (we[*] would like to change that location as
well for GNOME 2.0, so 2.0 can have a new menu tree without messing up
the existing 1.x applications), and a .separator file. Then all we have
to do is make the menu editor point to that dir and fix it's bugs. No
fuss, no mess, and a vastly improved menu config arch, without any
really new code.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill