Re: Fatal error starting Gnome.

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > "Giving up on displaying error dialog" (incidentally a /n would be a nice)
> >

> This means your program segfaulted, tried to display the segfault dialog,
> and segfaulted again in the process, so just gave up. Probably the error
> message could be improved but you aren't supposed to see this really...

<SNIP>

> I would say 99% likely if gnome-session segfaults on startup your
> installation is somehow hosed, but of course it could be a bug.
> If you think your installation is OK, then try running gnome-session in
> gdb and getting a backtrace for us. Email if you don't know how.

	OK, I am 99.9% sure the installation went ok. I did a very
thorough search of any old gnome libs I had and made sure none were lying
around waiting to bite me.
	It seem to affect the intialization of Gnome in genreral. I get
the same error from panel as I do from gnome-session. Here is the
backtrace:

--- CUT ---
seaforn:~$ gdb /usr/X11R6/gnome/bin/gnome-session
GNU gdb 4.17
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/X11R6/gnome/bin/gnome-session

0x404b8238 in main_arena ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

0x402c04e4 in XUngrabPointer ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Giving up on displaying error dialog
Program exited with code 01.
(gdb)
--- CUT ---

The relevant (?) packages are:
gnome-libs	1.0.16
gnome-core	1.0.9
ORBit		0.4.93

All compiled with GCC 2.95.1 against glibc 2.1.1 and XFree 3.3.4

Incidentally this error occurs on the command line as well as in an xterm.
Curiouser and curiouser...

	Thanks for your help.

Rooster - A friend.

"Anyone's friend in particular or just generally well disposed to people?"

							HHGTTG.

CUT - Campaign for Unmetered Telecomunications:
Bring the best to all affordably. http://www.unmetered.org.uk