Whatever became of gtkGL, gtkglarea, etc?

I need an OpenGL(TM) drawing area widget for my work (a finite element
program). I have been using gtkglarea, and I know there is also a gtkGL
package which is still available on CVS but apparently hasn't been updated
in ages.

But neither of these is referenced in the Gnome software map, as far as
I can see. They must have been there once or how did I find them
originally? What is the current 'official' way of getting OpenGL/Mesa
bindings in Gnome?

--
Peter Wainwright
Home: prw@wainpr.demon.co.uk     Work: peter.wainwright@nrpb.org.uk