Re: gnome-print and GnomeCanvas

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  A friend and I have started writing an interactive music typesetting
> >  program.  It's written entirely in scheme, using the gnome-guile
> >  bindings.  (Yes, we love scheme.  No, our app is nothing like
> >  LilyPond.) :)
>
> Fantastic!  It would kick ass to have a GNOME program to do
> high-quality music setting.  Elliot, Owen, and I had thought of such a
> thing, and Elliot even wrote some code for it (it is in the GEM module
> on cvs).

Have any of the people thinking about typesetting music looked into
MusicTeX or MuTeX?  These are collections of TeX macros for doing high
quality typesetting of music, and they are available in the CTAN
archives.  Even if you don't find these packages to be anything like
what you want, you might want to consider the possibility of providing
a feature in your system that could output Mu(sic)TeX code, so that
users of these systems (of which I am not one, BTW) could benefit from
your GUI setup.

--
Todd Wilson
Computer Science Department