Moving from RPM's to CVS

Hello all,

I recently installed RedHat 6.0 with all the RPM updates on my sparc 5, and
I wish to move to the bleeding edge of Gnome.

Using the most excellent FAQ
(http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml) on setting up AnonCVS
Gnome, I retrieved all the sources.

I ran the ./autogen.sh script for glib and other than seeing lots of
AT_TRY_RUN (or similar) warnings it seems to be ok.

My question is regarding the RedHat's Gnome RPMs (before I potentially break
things ;-).  When I do a make && make install on the new sources will the
RPM's be blown away with the new versions?  Should I un-install the RPM's
first (yuck)?

Thanks!

Damon.